Instruction in this article is intended to be non-phone specific. Therefore, it speaks of functions rather than buttons and soft keys, and it will avoid detailed reference to specific phone's display elements. This article's purpose is to give you direction on how to perform certain general phone operations without referring to the specifics of individual phone interfaces.
Phones and Call Handling
Placing a Call
You can place a call using your phone over the handset, speakerphone, or headset.
- To make a call using handset simply pick up the handset and dial the number. You may also be able to dial first, then pick up the handset.
- To make a call using the speaker phone - with the handset on hook, then press the speakerphone function. Once you have the dial tone, you can then dial the number.
- To make a call using a headset - press the New Call function. Once you have the dial tone, you can then dial the number.
- During a call, you can alternate between Speakerphone, Headset, or Handset modes by pressing the appropriate functions or picking up the handset.
- To make a “private call” that does not display your caller ID information, start with *67 + the 10, or 11 digit number.
The name of the called party is displayed in the active window on the call screen.
The call duration of active calls is also visible on the call screen.
Answering A Call
- When not in another call, answering a call is as simple as picking up the handset, or pressing the Speakerphone function if you wish to communicate via speaker phone, or pressing the Answer Call function if you wish to communicate via headset.
- When in another call, and a call comes in it will likely be indicated by a call waiting tone and a flashing signal on the incoming call's corresponding line key. There should also be incoming call information on your phone's screen.
- Press the Hold function
- Find the incoming call's corresponding line key function and press it.
- Or select the call via the phone's screen interface and press the Answer Call function.
To reject an incoming call, press the Silence or Reject function.
Ending A Call
Do one of the following:
- If you are using the handset, press the End Call function or replace the handset.
- If you are using a headset, press the Headset function
- If you're are using the speakerphone, press the Speakerphone function
- Press the line key associated with the call (if this behavior has been configured by your system administrator)
To redial the last placed call from your phone, press the Redial function.
During a call press the Hold function to place the call on hold.
To retrieve the call, press the Hold or Resume function.
If multiple calls are on hold, select the call you wish to retrieve by navigating the Phone's screen or by selecting the corresponding call's line key function and pressing the Hold or Resume function
Forwarding a Call
Call Forwarding is the phone's ability to direct a call to another party. It comes in two flavors. This feature is typically local to the phone and may be overridden by call server settings. For more information, contact your system administrator.
- Static Forwarding - You can configure your phone to forward all incoming calls.
- Select the Forward function ( or use star code *40)
- If multiple lines are configured for your phone, select or enter the line you wish to have calls forwarded from.
- Select the forwarding type:
- Always - All incoming calls will be forwarded. ( *40 )
- Busy - Forward calls that come in while you are in another call. ( *41 )
- No Answer - Only unanswered calls will be forwarded. ( *42 )
- Enter a number for where to forwards calls. If you selected No Answer, then you may also be prompted to enter the number of rings to allow before the call gets forwarded.
Dynamic Forwarding - You can forward calls as your phone is ringing.
More Forwarding Features – Here is a list of other forwarding star codes
- When the phone rings, press the Forward function.
- Enter a number for where to forward the incoming call.
- Press the Enable function
- ( *90 ) Activate Forward Busy
- ( *91 ) De-Activate Forward Busy
- ( *92 ) Activate Forward – No Answer
- ( *93 ) De-Activate Forward – No Answer
How to Call Park
Parking a call allows you to put a call on a hold (Park) which allows anyone on the call network to pick up the call.
- During a call, press the Call Park function of your phone. ( or use star code ***)
- Listen for the system to verbally announce what park position the call is being placed on.
- Instruct the party who needs to take the call that they now press the Call Park button to take the call.
- More Call Park Features – Here is a list of other call park star codes
- ( *55 ) Retrieve a call from a Call Park Queue
How to Transfer
Transferring a call can be done in one of three ways:
- Consultative transfer - The party to whom you want to transfer the call
answers their phone before you transfer the call or hang up. You can
consult with them before completing the transfer.
Blind transfer - The call is automatically transferred after you dial the number of the party to whom you want to transfer the call.
- During a call, press the Transfer function of your phone. ( or use star code *98)
- Dial the number to which you wish to transfer the call.
- Once you hear the ring back sound or any time after the party answers, press the Transfer function to complete the transfer. You may talk privately with the party to which you are transferring the call prior to completing the transfer.
- You may cancel the transfer at any time before the call connects by accessing your phone's Cancel function.
Attended transfer - The parties are automatically connected to each other after you exit the conference.
- During a call, press the Transfer function of your phone.
- Press the Blind function of your phone.
- dial the number to which you wish to transfer the call. From this point, the call will be connected to the party to which you are transferring.
More Transfer Features – Here is a list of other transfer star codes
- Set up a conference call and then end your participation. For more
information, see How To Conference below
- ( *98 ) Transfer to an Extension
- ( *99 ) Transfer to Self
How to Conference
You can create a conference with other parties using the phone’s conference function. You can create a conference at any time between an active call and a call on hold (on the same or another line. While in a conference, your phone's display will be populated with Conference related and functions.
Setting Up a Conference
- Call the first party
- Press the Conference function of your phone
- The active call is placed on hold
- Call the second party
- When this party answers press the Conference function to add them to the conference.
- Repeat the following per person you wish to add to the conference.
- Press the Conference function to add another party.
Dial the next party member.
Press Conference function again to add them to the conference.
- All members in the conference will be placed on hold.
Conference management is a capability granted to the person setting up the conference. With conference management you can view all parties in a
conference call; you can also add, hold, remove, and mute specific conference participants. These functions are only available on certain phones.
To manage a conference, you will simply press the Manage Conference function of your phone. Your phone display will populate with Conference Management related elements and functions.
- Add function - use the Add function to add members to the conference. Once the add function is accessed, adding members to the conference is the same as described above in Setting Up a Conference. Note: The Add function will only be available if you can add members to the conference. Your system administrator determines the maximum allowed participants in a conference.
- Dial the party member
- Once the party answers, press the Conference function.
- Repeat for each person you wish to add to the conference.
- Mute function - a muted party member can hear all parties in the conference, and no party can hear the muted party.
- To mute a party, select the party and press the Mute function.
- To unmute a party, select the party and press the Unmute function.
- Hold function - A party member on Hold cannot hear the conference, nor can any parties in the conference hear them.
- To put a party on Hold, select the party and press the Hold function.
- To return the party to the conference, select the party and press the Resume function.
- Remove function - Use the Remove function to remove a party from the conference.
Voice call allows you to call an extension and it goes into speakerphone mode after ringing one time. To use this feature, dial *50 <Then extension number>
DND (Do Not Disturb) Button
The DND button will set your phone to a silent mode and automatically sets all calls to Do Not Answer. Please be careful when using this function.
- Locate the DND button on your phone.
- Press the button to enable DND mode. ( or use the star code *78 )
- Press the button again to disable DND mode. ( or use the star code *79 )